Thursday 16 March 2017

THE WAILING SONG


Friend Jane was musing in the comments under my Friends post, that she has to write a poem for a choir memorial recital for her friend that died. 
That reminded me of my Mum's funeral, where the choir she had sung with for years were happy to perform, also the same for my first husband, who had joined the choir in our church as a bass. 

Mostly, though, Jane's  words reminded me of this song that was played at his funeral, at his request. In the week leading up to it, I didn't get much sleep, staying up at night and playing his CDs of his favourite artists, really loudly while I cried.  My hubby had loved Pink Floyd so much, that he attended every one of their concerts when they visited Melbourne. I went to one, and was impressed. 

This song made everybody at the funeral reflective, and when I turned around I don't think there were many dry eyes.

Lyrics:

"And I am not frightened of dying, any time will do, I don't mind.
Why should I be frightened of dying?
There's no reason for it, you've gotta go sometime."
"If you can hear this whispering you are dying."
"I never said I was frightened of dying."

Pink Floyd


What I call The Wailing Song:





Tell me your thoughts in the comments.

2 comments:

Fizzfan said...

Pink Floyd Dark Side Of The Moon is one of my all time favourite albums. I fell asleep to it, earphones on, so many times when I was a teenager.
As far as dying is concerned I think as you age and the inevitability of it approaches, you do become slightly more accepting of it. One of my favourite quotes is by Mark Twain. 'I do not fear death. I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it'
Like a lot of things though it's not until you actually have to face it, that you can ever really say how it feels.
Losing a very close loved one is something I am yet to face. It's a scary prospect.

Running on empty said...


It was part of my role, in a couple of my jobs, to organise staff development training. I invited a funeral director to speak . Something he said stayed in my mind and stood me in good stead later on. He said "we get departed of all ages from baby to old age. People think only elderly die. People of all ages die."

In eras gone by, people were reminded of this fact in artworks. There would often be a skull present in a portrait, for example, designed to remind the living to be careful how they lived /live well / behave and go to Heaven.

I love Mark Twain.