Thursday 9 February 2017

SOMBRE


There is an appointed time for everything,
  and a time for every affair under the heavens.
A time to be born, and a time to die;
  a time to plant, and a time to uproot the plant.
A time to kill, and a time to heal;
  a time to tear down, and a time to build.
A time to weep, and a time to laugh;
  a time to mourn, and a time to dance.
A time to scatter stones, and a time to gather them;
  a time to embrace, and a time to be far from embraces.
A time to seek, and a time to lose;
  a time to keep, and a time to cast away.
A time to rend, and a time to sew;
  a time to be silent, and a time to speak.
A time to love, and a time to hate;
  a time of war, and a time of peace.


Ecclesiastes, The Bible






Yesterday I was driven long distance by my father, to a funeral of a family member. It was a sad day. 





 






 





I was able to get back in contact with cousins I havn't seen in decades. 
It was a tasteful funeral, with a funeral director giving the eulogy, plus the deceased 's son also spoke well. There was a slideshow of photographs. 





 




Afterwards there were platters of finger food, and an open bar. I stuck to my diet pretty well, oh well, I can keep telling myself that. Quite a few people were deceased, who would have been there, I'm sure, including my own mother, but she was in one of the photos in the slideshow. 

We will all die one day. A poem that was read out reminded us of that fact, and to be careful how we fill the time between our birth, and our death. 





5 comments:

Running on empty said...


Feel free to make comments on this topic of funerals and bereavement.

Anonymous said...

It's good that you went to the funeral to pay honour to the life. I wish the family a gentle grieving and good memories.

Fizzfan said...

Hope you're not too sad Cath. Funerals often bring people together that would otherwise never meet again and you talk and notice the changes in them and vice versa. Sometimes good things have happened and sometimes not so good. Time marches on regardless of anything or anyone. Keep counting your blessings while you can I guess. Xxx

Kathy said...

Funerals remind us life is short..

Running on empty said...


Thankyou, Anonymous, Fizz, and Kathy, it is appreciated.